Getting an Attorney for Criminal defense St.Louis MO

by | Dec 6, 2013 | Law Services

Criminal defense St.Louis MO is designed to help you fight charges of crime. Criminal charges can be as serious as murder or a misdemeanor. The sixth amendment gives you a right to a quick trial. The trial must take place where the crime was committed.  When you are arrested, you have the right to a criminal defense in St.Louis MO attorney. If  you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you by the court. After the arrest, you will be arraigned. During arraignment, the lawyer will gather evidence from police reports and witnesses. This evidence is used in court as an attempt to prove your innocence.

Depending on the case, you are tried in front of a judge and jury. A jury commonly is composed of twelve of your peers. You can only be charged with the crime when there is enough evidence presented by the attorney. An attorney will make an attempt to create reasonable doubt to turn things in your favor. For example, if you are charged with DUI, the lawyer could argue the breath test was administered incorrectly.

The key to proving your innocence or reducing charges is the right lawyer. Many lawyers advertise in telephone directories or you can find them through your local bar association. A good lawyer will offer a free consultation to determine if he or she is suited to your case. Use this time to ask the attorney about his or her education and experience. A lawyer should treat you like a person and be interested in helping you. Pay attention to how long the consultation lasts. Be leery of short consultations. An interested and genuine lawyer takes time asking you questions. Find out what the fees are. Since you will be spending time in court, you need to know the fees. Some lawyers charge a flat rate and others bill by the hour.

You may need to meet with two or more attorneys before you find the right one. Don’t delay finding an attorney after your arrest. Your goal is to get the best outcome possible and that can only be done with a competent lawyer.



Latest Articles