Retain a Child Support Lawyer when You Wish to Modify Support

by | Jun 23, 2014 | Law

Raising a child is an expensive proposition, although a very fun one. Children deserve to have love and attention from both parents, even when the parents have chosen to separate or divorce, yet often they become pawns in a child support battle. One parent refuses to pay or the other parent may want more than he or she is currently receiving. Often, a modification in support payments is requested by one party or the other. When this is the case, each party should retain the services of a Child Support Lawyer, such as Shinbaum & Campbell P.C. to assist in the matter.

A modification in child support may be requested when one parent loses a job or receives a substantial pay increase or decrease. This is one of the most common reasons for a modification request. If one parent receives a large inheritance or marries, there is a change in the financial situation and this may need to be addressed, and the same is true if child visitation or custody rights change. When a child suffers a long term illness or disability, one that requires additional care, child support may also need to be modified, and the same holds true if he or she has a special education need.

Parents may agree to sit down and try to work out new child support arrangements, but it is best to have a Child Support Lawyer representing each parent during this meeting. This ensures there are no questions about the modification in the future. When both parents agree to this, there may be no need to involve the court, although the agreement must be put into writing and it must follow the formula used by the courts for determining child support. If an agreement cannot be reached, the matter will need to be taken before the court.

There is no limit on the number of times a parent may request a modification in child support. As long as the child remains dependent on the parents for support, the court may become involved. For most, this is when the child reaches 18 or graduates from high school. Be aware that each state has their own laws, however, and the situation changes when the child involved is disabled. For this reason, it’s always best to seek legal advice.


Latest Articles