Possible Outcomes When You Work With a DUI Attorney in Mount Vernon, WA

by | May 24, 2014 | Law

If you’ve never been arrested before, the arrest and court process can be confusing at best. If you try to go through the court system alone, you could find yourself with a conviction and the harshest sentence possible for your crime. For a DUI, this could mean jail time, fines, and the loss of your driver’s license. Instead of hoping for the best and being let down, you should speak with a DUI Attorney in Mount Vernon WA. By speaking to a DUI attorney, there are three possible outcomes for your case.


Charges Dropped – In many DUI cases, the charges may be dropped altogether. This can be because procedures weren’t followed, the breathalyzer was not done correctly, or for other reasons. A DUI attorney can help you figure out if this is possible for your case based on the evidence.

Convicted, With Minimum Sentence – In this case, you would receive the minimum allowed time in jail, or be able to avoid jail. You would have to pay the minimum amount of fines, and you would lose your driver’s license for a short period of time. Your attorney can let you know what to expect before the trial, and will explain everything to you if you have any questions.

Convicted, But Can Keep License – In some cases, you may have to serve time in jail and/or pay fines, but you would be able to keep your license. This is usually called a hardship license and it will allow you to go to work and back, but there will be limitations. You will only be allowed to drive to certain places, such as your job, and only during certain times. Your attorney can help you get this in cases where your job is necessary for you or your family’s survival.

If you’ve been arrested for a DUI, you should speak with a DUI Attorney in Mount Vernon WA. An attorney, such as one from the Howson Law Office, will be able to go through the possible outcomes for your case with you and can let you know what they think will happen. The legal process can be confusing and hard to navigate on your own. Hire an attorney so you can have your charges dropped or work towards getting the minimum sentence possible.

Latest Articles